managing a software product can be perilous, BUT also exhilarating!
We understand that journey - and we love it too.
That's why we offer tools and guidance to help you stay on the path.
A Year in the Life of a PM
An exclusive article series created for theProductPath
Have you ever wondered what a Product Manager actually does? Here's your chance to find out.
Every week for an entire year, Steven Jones contributed a new article that highlights a separate decision he made in his role as a PM. That's more than 50 separate product decisions!
This unprecedented body of work, presented to you here on theProductPath will provide insight into the challenges and triumphs of this remarkable profession.
Need a tool for your assessments?
Are you tinkering with a new idea but not sure it is worth exploring? Are you considering a sizable new product investment? Are you pitching your business to would-be investors and need to increase your odds?
Introducing Go/No-Go, the Opportunity Assessment Multi-Tool. Our flagship product is a great place to start your journey.
The Opportunity Assessment helps Product Managers, entrepreneurs, and executives determine whether they have an idea worth chasing.
The team here at theProductPath creates, sells, and supports offerings primarily for product people. If you are a Product Manager or are engaged in any way with software products, we'd like to talk with you.
Featured Product Management Articles
A Year in the Life of a PM
A new article every week - 50 Product Management decisions
- January 2015
- Feb 7, 2015 Create a reference application for our software platform
- Feb 14, 2015 Repave the road...map
- Feb 24, 2015 Make Product Decisions Like Cagan
- Mar 3, 2015 Present a Product Roadmap to the Board using the 3 Horizons Model
- Mar 10, 2015 Create an in-person event to engage your customers
- Mar 17, 2015 Upgrade the Product...team
- Mar 24, 2015 Network with other Product Managers
- Mar 31, 2015 Deliver a more compelling product status update to the troops
- Apr 7, 2015 Publish and promote a more consumable product roadmap
- Apr 16, 2015 Pull a large MVP-less feature from the next release
- Apr 21, 2015 Getting ready to groom
- Apr 30, 2015 Evaluate a product integration with a potential partner
- May 5, 2015 Assess the Product Portfolio
- May 12, 2015 Head off a new product idea before it gains any more steam
- May 19, 2015 Find a good stopping point for a postponed feature
- May 27, 2015 Cut down the scope of the initial product by 20%
- Jun 2, 2015 Recalibrate product priorities for the next 6 months
- Jun 9, 2015 Clarify win-loss speculation with post-mortem interviews
- Jun 16, 2015 Unveil new product at company event
- Jun 23, 2015 Sit with customers for product training
- Jun 30, 2015 Write the Release Notes
- Jul 7, 2015 Build a quick proof of concept
- Jul 14, 2015 Complete an Opportunity Assessment for proposed new product
- Jul 21, 2015 Triage an almost bungled feature upgrade
- Jul 28, 2015 Fire up the Sales team
- August 2015
- September 2015
- Oct 6, 2015 Celebrate product wins big and small
- Oct 13, 2015 Call in reinforcements to advance product initiatives
- Oct 20, 2015 Restore product credibility over time
- Oct 27, 2015 Sync up with Product Marketing
- Nov 3, 2015 Practice humility in product pursuits
- Nov 13, 2015 Product-ive roadmapping for the holiday slowdown
- Nov 19, 2015 Build the prototype to aid in new product discovery
- Nov 27, 2015 Convey the Product Vision to outside influencers
- Dec 2, 2015 Wind down current product initiatives before starting new ones
- Dec 9, 2015 Evaluate the available data for making better product investment decisions
- Dec 15, 2015 Reach out to the local product community for growth
- Dec 24, 2015 Balance give and take, yes and no, push and pull with products
- Dec 30, 2015 Create a year-end Product progress report
- January 2016