LEADING a software product Initiative
can be perilous, BUT also exhilarating!
I understand that journey - and I love it too.
That's why I am offering tools and guidance to help you stay on the path.
A Year in the Life of a PM
An exclusive article series created for theProductPath
Have you ever wondered what a Product Manager actually does? Here's your chance to find out.
Every week for an entire year, I contributed a new article that highlights a separate decision I made in my role as a PM. That's more than 50 separate product decisions!
This unprecedented body of work, presented to you here on theProductPath will provide insight into the challenges and triumphs of this remarkable profession.
Need a tool for your assessments?
Are you tinkering with a new idea but not sure it is worth exploring? Are you considering a sizable new product investment? Are you pitching your business to would-be investors and need to increase your odds?
Introducing Go/No-Go, the Opportunity Assessment Multi-Tool. My flagship product is a great place to start your journey.
The Opportunity Assessment helps Product Managers, entrepreneurs, and executives determine whether they have an idea worth chasing.
I created theProductPath to build, sell and support offerings for product people. If you are a Product Manager or are engaged in any way with software products, I'd like to talk with you.
Featured Product Management Articles
A Year in the Life of a PM
A new article every week - 50 Product Management decisions
- January 2015
- Feb 7, 2015 Create a reference application for our software platform
- Feb 14, 2015 Repave the road...map
- Feb 24, 2015 Make Product Decisions Like Cagan
- Mar 3, 2015 Present a Product Roadmap to the Board using the 3 Horizons Model
- Mar 10, 2015 Create an in-person event to engage your customers
- Mar 17, 2015 Upgrade the Product...team
- Mar 24, 2015 Network with other Product Managers
- Mar 31, 2015 Deliver a more compelling product status update to the troops
- Apr 7, 2015 Publish and promote a more consumable product roadmap
- Apr 16, 2015 Pull a large MVP-less feature from the next release
- Apr 21, 2015 Getting ready to groom
- Apr 30, 2015 Evaluate a product integration with a potential partner
- May 5, 2015 Assess the Product Portfolio
- May 12, 2015 Head off a new product idea before it gains any more steam
- May 19, 2015 Find a good stopping point for a postponed feature
- May 27, 2015 Cut down the scope of the initial product by 20%
- Jun 2, 2015 Recalibrate product priorities for the next 6 months
- Jun 9, 2015 Clarify win-loss speculation with post-mortem interviews
- Jun 16, 2015 Unveil new product at company event
- Jun 23, 2015 Sit with customers for product training
- Jun 30, 2015 Write the Release Notes
- Jul 7, 2015 Build a quick proof of concept
- Jul 14, 2015 Complete an Opportunity Assessment for proposed new product
- Jul 21, 2015 Triage an almost bungled feature upgrade
- Jul 28, 2015 Fire up the Sales team
- August 2015
- September 2015
- Oct 6, 2015 Celebrate product wins big and small
- Oct 13, 2015 Call in reinforcements to advance product initiatives
- Oct 20, 2015 Restore product credibility over time
- Oct 27, 2015 Sync up with Product Marketing
- Nov 3, 2015 Practice humility in product pursuits
- Nov 13, 2015 Product-ive roadmapping for the holiday slowdown
- Nov 19, 2015 Build the prototype to aid in new product discovery
- Nov 27, 2015 Convey the Product Vision to outside influencers
- Dec 2, 2015 Wind down current product initiatives before starting new ones
- Dec 9, 2015 Evaluate the available data for making better product investment decisions
- Dec 15, 2015 Reach out to the local product community for growth
- Dec 24, 2015 Balance give and take, yes and no, push and pull with products
- Dec 30, 2015 Create a year-end Product progress report
- January 2016